Pages

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Quesadillas to Celebrate Texas!

Hello again fellow food lovers. I have been out of my mind planning this wedding. It can get so complicated and JUST when you think you have it figured out, there's a new variable thrown in there! I think (hope) I will have the venues picked out by the end of the week. Then I can send out save the dates. :) The engagement pictures are so awesome I can't wait to put them on the save the dates and show them off!!

Here's an example of the one I want to use.

Pretty nice.

So I finally got some time in between my crazy school load and my busy work with the wedding to make some food. I went home to Texas last weekend to scope out venues with Steven's mom and aunt and remembered how much more AWESOME the tortillas are in Texas than here on the east coast. Plus, they're dirt cheap too! So I smuggled two gigantic packs of tortillas home in my bags. Then, I made teriyaki steak quesadillas.
Delicious.
Here's how it's done!
TERIYAKI STEAK QUESADILLAS
  • 1/3 c. reduced sodium soy sauce
  • 1/3 c. reduced sodium chicken stock
  • 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. minced fresh gingerroot (or 1/4 tsp. powdered ginger)
  • 1/2 tsp. onion powder
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1 beef top sirloin steak
  • 1/2 c. sliced red onion
  • 1/2 c. sliced green bell pepper
  • 1 Tbps. olive oil
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 c. shredded part skim mozarella cheese
  • some flour tortillas
In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients to make an awesome marinade. Then stick the marinade inside of a resealable plastic bag - then add the steak to it. Let that sit in the refrigerator for about 2 hours. I only did one hour, and it turned out delicious, so it's up to you.

In the meantime, slice those onions and green bell peppers. When it gets close to the end of the marinade time, start a skillet on medium heat with about a Tbsp. of olive oil. Toss in the onions and bell peppers, salt and pepper to taste, and cook until crisp-tender. Take off heat and keep nearby.

When the meat is finished marinading, take the meat out of the bag and put it on the grill for however long you like your steaks. I like mine pretty rare, so it was not on there very long. Reserve 3 Tbsp. of the marinade to put on the filling.

When the steak is done, take it off and cut it up into bite size pieces. Lay a tortilla flat and put some mozzarella cheese on it. Then, layer with some steak pieces, a few onions and peppers, and some more mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle a spoon full of the marinade on top of all of that and then seal the deal with a second tortilla. I pan fried mine in olive oil until just browned, but you can also put them on the grill if you want. Slice into six pieces (honestly this part doesn't matter if you just want to eat it whole).

Steven loves his with jalapenos, I like mine with sour cream and salsa. Either way, you have a unique tasting, amazing quesadilla!!

1 comment:

  1. Love the save the dates. They're adorable. You will have to make a vegetarian recipe sometime so I can steal it! :)

    ReplyDelete