Pages

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thanksgiving Food Plans

So, if you know me, you know I am totally obsessed with the holiday season - starting from Thanksgiving and lasting until New Years, that's approximately my favorite time period of the entire year. Halloween... meh. Not so much. But I LOVE everything after that. It means pumpkin everything, cranberry sauce, and tons of other delicious food. So, with Thanksgiving next week, I figured I'd start early with my planning! I've already got my menu planned out. It will be my very first Thanksgiving hosted for a large group! Exciting!! I have about nine people on the guest list - quite a jump up from my previous record of four. If you count our dogs that makes 11 this year, though. ;)

So, what do I make for Thanksgiving?

First we start with delicious appetizers which incorporate my absolute favorite home-made cranberry sauce.

Baked Brie with Cranberry Sauce.


If I had it my way, I would definitely put that cranberry sauce inside the bread with the cheese like this person did, but unfortunately, Steven has a thing against fruity tasting things that aren't really fruit. So, I put it as a side and pretty much hog it all to myself because it's so good. 

Homemade Cranberry Sauce.


I don't play nice with canned cranberry sauce. I think it's fake and gross. So, I make my own, which I learned to do from my mother, actually! These pictures are definitely not taken by me, because I'm bad at taking pictures of food, but it gives you a general idea of what I'm making AND it probably makes you hungry, like me. 

Wine.




This is so necessary for our newly formed family that it counts as an appetizer. And side. And probably dessert. Just kidding, we're not alcoholics, we just enjoy our wine.... and can't wait to tour Italy tasting some more one day!

Turkey.


By the way, ours never looks this good when we serve it. We value taste instead of presentation on this one, so we usually shred it and cook it in the juices toward the end of the cook time to ensure delicious, moist turkey that is easily grabbed out of the pan for dinner.

Mashed Potatoes.


I do enjoy spicing up my mashed potatoes with unhealthy things like cheese, Italian dressing, more cheese, and chives. It's so good and Thanksgiving is one day a year! I can work out tomorrow......

Green Beans


Fresh of course - I vary the recipe from year to year, but in the past I've done a lemon almond pan fry, asian inspiration, and this year the lemon/dill combo is looking appetizing!

Sweet Potato Casserole.


Marshmallows are vital. This is also one I try to hoard to myself on my side of the table. And I'll probably hide half of it in the kitchen too so I can say, "Oh no! We're out?" >:)

Bread.


Everyone likes bread. If you don't, that just means I can eat more of it. 

Pumpkin Pie


Thanksgiving staple in my life - did you know that it apparently helps with depression? I'm pretty sure I read that in some form of research somewhere... see? It's healthy. 

Vanilla Pudding with Nilla Wafers


Ok. Minus those gross bananas (I hate bananas). I get to use my brand spankin' new trifle dish for the first time since our wedding! Yes! And people will get to see it? Even better. 

Mystery Dessert #1


What will it be? Stay tuned to find out - even I don't know yet.... 

Possibility of Mystery Dessert #2

Yeah... I like dessert. 

So, I suppose you could also stay tuned for how my own pictures turn out - I'm sure they won't look nearly as appetizing as these staged ones do! I'll try my best. Have a wonderful pre-Thanksgiving week!

No comments:

Post a Comment