Pages

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Big ol' Wine Rack

Silly boys and their projects. I suppose it's a man-thing... to build something from your own, bare hands. Of course, with no help, no plans, and no girlfriend critiques! (Yes, I ignore the new elimination of the Oxford comma)


Steven, my boyfriend of **give or take** 3.5 years recently ventured out and over the big blue ocean to visit me while I am staying with my parents in Germany. This was his first real fun-inspired overseas trip ever so I was very excited to show him how it works. One of our first big trips was over the border to Strasbourg and Marlenheim of the Alsace region in France. They are pretty well known for their white wines there, so before our fancy dinner and after our cathedral exploration, we went on a little wine tasting adventure.

Strasbourg with Steven - who hates fake smiling for cameras
This was before wine, so I could walk effectively in the heels I had conveniently decided to wear for the cobblestone roads. I personally call it great mental exercise - quickly planning where your next heel will strike so you don't lose a shoe in the road - I passed and didn't seriously lose a shoe once.

So the end result of this wine adventure was a renewed excitement for wine tasting, collecting, and of course, drinking. Living as a college student for the past few years, I definitely do not own a wine rack, nor have I been able to afford collecting nice wines. So far, I've had a very limited range of wine.

My price range:

Well I'm about to graduate, so nice things here I come. 

Steven was infected with this wine-excitement, so the first goal he had when he returned to nice little Maryland was to buy a bunch of oak and.... build his own wine rack.


I'm a planner, and he's my opposite. Naturally, I have a lot of questions because I want to make sure he's thought of all possible problems, meltdowns, fires, etc. However, me and my planning self can get a little out of control and it infringed upon his manliness.

"This is my project!"

I got snapped at.. oops. I tend to forget that men like to build things - on their own. It's part of that whole male ego thing about the provider, protecter, baconater... you know, macho-ness. Plus, it's human nature to want to do something on your own. So of course, I'm all mad because, "I was just trying to heeeelp." 
And he's all mad because I started getting all plan-like on him, when he's the wine-rack-meister in the apartment today!

But Mr. Good Man says it best:

 "Stroking a man's ego can lead to better sex or lovemaking, him spending more time with you, better communication, doing more around the house, and much, much more!"


Hell, if this is the magic awesome button, I'm ready to stroke.


By the way, the wine rack is looking pretty damn awesome if you ask me - especially since it's his first try. I love it. I'm sure I'll post pictures - as soon as Steven gets around to e-mailing me some.

No comments:

Post a Comment